So, there’s this holiday called Christmas and it’s coming up fast. Which means you might be looking forward to a little vacation from the office, some delicious holiday fare, classic Christmas movies and spending time with extended family.
But, if you’re like us, it also means that you’re scrambling to get all your gift shopping finished. Rather than throwing some socks in a box and slapping a bow on it, why don’t you check out these helpful last-minute gift ideas?
Plus, these gift ideas are great alternatives to the run-o’-the-mill video games and other electronics that keep kids glued to the screen rather than up & exercising the body and mind.
So, check ’em out and get to grabbin’ those gifts before the 25th arrives!
Gifts for the Creative Kiddo
You know the type: the child who doesn’t understand why it’s bad to draw on walls and thinks playdough is a healthy food group. Not just any old toy off the shelf will do, these kids need toys that will stimulate the imagination and encourage them to express that inner creativity. That’s why these gifts are great for providing a fun (and clean) outlet for the creative kiddos in your life!
- Building Blocks: Drawing houses and castles on paper is great and all, but building them is even better! Check out Legos, MoGee Motorized Gears, Tinker Toys, and Magformers.
- Art Supplies: Creativity needs tools to flourish, so equip your kids with the crayons, markers, paper, colored pencils, and other materials he/she needs! Check out the Crayola Inspiration Art Kit, Sketchbook, and Magnetic Drawing Board.
- DIY Tinkering Kit: If you’re down to the wire with your Christmas shopping, then you may not have time to go out and get a gift. So, why not make it yourself? If you’ve got a kid who loves to tinker, then check out how to make a Tinkering Kit that will have them entertained (without trying to take apart the toaster).
Gifts for the Sports Fanatic
No, we’re not talking about the uncle that screams at the TV during football games. We’re talking about the kid that has done it all: baseball/softball, football, tennis, soccer, you name it. To encourage this active lifestyle, get your sports fanatic a gift that keep them movin’ and having fun!
- Basketball Gear: Did you know a child can burn up to 400 calories playing basketball for an hour? That is some serious cardio, and these are some great gifts to go with it. Check out the Fisher Price I Can Play Basketball, Baby Basketball Toy, and Kid-Sized Basketballs.
- Soccer Fun: Soccer is a great sport for kids of any age (even the littlest ones will be entertained by kicking a ball around)! Check out Super Sounds Soccer, Finger Soccer Game, Adidas Multicolor Soccer Ball, and Soccer Wall Decal.
- Personalized Jersey: Customize a sports jersey just for your little one, with his or her name, favorite color, and number!
Gifts for the Little Genius
Some kids just love putting their mind to work, but too often this capacity for learning is stifled by the distractions of TV and video games. This holiday, give the little genius in your family some great educational games that put a fun twist on math, science and literacy!
- Science Experiments: Got a curious kiddo on your hands? Give them a gift that will allow them to experiment and have fun! Check out the Science Lab Set, Human Body Science Kit, Magnetic Science, and Optical Science Set.
- Smart Games: Some games come with a bonus: lessons on math, science and reading that will get your little genius exercising the brain! Check out Sum Swamp, Rummikub, and Scrambled States.
- Personalized Children’s Books: For the kids that love to read (or be read to) there’s nothing better than seeing his or her name in the book! Check out I See Me for tons of books, both new and classic, to customize for your little genius!
Gifts for the Nature Nut
Know a kid who can’t get enough of the outdoors? Winter might be a difficult season to get your kids outside (check out a past blog post for fun ideas on this topic), but that doesn’t mean you can’t give your Nature Nut something to look forward to when the snow thaws and Mother Nature wakes up from her frosty slumber!
- Fun Fishing Gear: You may not have a boat and a lake, but you can still have fun with your child with some pretend fishing in the tub or sink! Check out the Pretend & Play Fishing Set, Electronic Fishing Pole, and these Fishing Bath Toys.
- Rockin’ Roll: Some kids love to get dirty and roll around in the mud, other kids want to know what’s in the mud. These gifts are great ideas for kids that love collecting rocks and learning about the world beneath our feet. Check out the Ultimate Crystal Growing Kit, Break Your Own Geodes, Mine for Fossils Kit, and Rock On! Geology Game
- Young Explorers: These gifts are perfect for kids to experience the outdoors and have fun doing it! Check out the Tough Explorers Binoculars, Backyard Safari Vest, and the National Geographic Outdoor Explorer’s Pack.
Gifts for the Future Chef
Most kids leave the cookin’ to mom and dad, but some prefer to get in the kitchen and take part in the action. If you’ve got a future chef to shop for, then these gift ideas are the way to go. Plus, these offer great opportunities to teach your kids about healthy eating!
- Safe Kitchen Tools: Get your kids in the kitchen with you to cook & keep them safe with these kid-friendly cooking tools. Check out the Child-Size Spreader Set, Fun Measuring Cups, a Mini Rolling Pin, and the Cook it in a Cup Guide
- Kid-Sized Aprons: Nothing makes a kid feel more like a little chef than his or her very own apron! Check out this Etsy story for a ton of fun prints (you can even get it personalized!).
- Silly Cookie Cutters: Don’t go for the regular ole’ sugar cookies, make them fun and get the kids involved with these silly cookie cutters (which can also be used for playdough…just don’t forget to wash them!). Check out Kare & Kind 24pc Molds, Numbers Dough Cutter, and Star Wars Cookie Cutters.
Gifts for the Musical Munchkin
We know what you’re thinking and, no, we have not included a drum set on this list (we got you, moms and dads). Although, purchasing a set of headphones probably isn’t a horrible idea if you’ve got a musical munchkin. Check out these gift ideas and get your rhythmic kids what they really want this year.
- Sing-Along Songs: While there are few things cuter than a child writing and performing his or her own song, these gifts are also great for providing well-known tunes that your child can sing along to! Check out Rhythms on Parade, Activity Songs for Little Ones, and Frozen: Sing-Along Edition.
- Unique Instruments: Drums are a bit too loud, and a guitar or piano will be a bit too expensive. But these unique kid-friendly instruments won’t break your budget, or your eardrums. Check out Basic Resonator Bells, Kids Crow Sounder, and Tambourines.
- No Instruments Required: Make your musical munchkins happy with these toys that bring the rhythm and the fun! Check out Mickey Mouse’s Music Mat, Mozart Magic Cube, and the LeapFrog Learn & Groove Musice Player.
- Drum Set: For the brave souls out there…
Gifts to Help Your Kids Get Movin’
Let’s end with a gift category that is near and dear to our heart here at The Get Movin’ Crew! These gifts are made to encourage kids to get up and get active. Great for all ages, these gifts will set you apart as the guy/gal who went the extra mile this Christmas!
- Fun on Wheels: In the age of motorized, well, everything, it’s nice to know that there are still toys out there that require a bit of exertion and sweat to get movin’! Check out thePlasma Car, Spin N’ Saucer, and the Radio Flyer Cyclone.
- Active Games: Board games can be boring, but these games will get the whole family up and moving around! Check out the classic Twister, Hedbanz Act Up!, and the GoSports Slammo Game Set.
- Dance the Night Away: Grown ups often think working out means hitting the gym, but being active can be as easy as throwing a family-wide dance party! Check out these gifts that will get you and your kids movin’ to the groove: Move & Groove Game, Just Dance for the Wii, and the American Idol Dance Showdown.