So many blog posts are written about managing time at work, but what about the time spent after you clock out for the
day? Resolving to spend more time with loved ones is an honorable committment for this new year, but we know it can be easier said than done.
We’re a family-oriented group here at The Get Movin’ Crew and we know that family time is vital. So we’ve put our creative minds together to come up with some practical ways to increase hours with loved ones.
So if you’ve resolved to spend more time with your family this new year, here are a few tips for ways to add some much needed family time to your day.
Save One Night a Week
Designate one night a week (not a weekend, those are a given) to spend with your family. Here are some ideas, but don’t be scared to ask your kids what they’d like to do!
- Plan a movie night: Let there be a theme to the night (superheroes, cartoons, comedies, etc.) and don’t forget the popcorn!
- Have a board game tournament with your kids. Let them pick their three favorite board games and play all night long!
- Make a healthy dinner as a family: Spend the night shopping, cooking and enjoying the fruits of your labor. It’s a great time to talk with your kids & get in some one-on-one connection.
Create A Family Hour
Save one hour a night for your kids. Keep it the same time every night and let them decide what you do. The kids will love the consistency and you won’t have to stress about “making” time because it will already be set aside!
- Help them with their homework. You’ll be able to see what they’re learning in school and spend some time encouraging them in their studies.
- Spend the hour reading to them. Let them pick the books and once they’re old enough, let them read to you! It’s proven that reading one hour a day can increase a child’s reading level. Here are some tips for choosing the right books for your kids from Reading Rockets.
Turn “Me” Time Into Family Time
I know you’re tired when you get home, or maybe you’re a stay-at-home parent and you’re ready for some time out of the house. Don’t lose the time for yourself, but consider setting aside some of your “me” time for time as a family.
- If you enjoy hitting the gym after work, consider joining one that caters to families. You can still get your workout in, and promote healthy living to your kids. It’s never too early to instill good habits!
- If you’re someone who enjoys your morning coffee and a go-over of the Saturday morning paper, include your kids! Wake them up and let them read with you. After you’ve finished, make a healthy breakfast and spend some time watching their favorite cartoons. They’ll love the quality time and you’ll still get to keep your morning routine.